Monday, October 8, 2007

A Liar and a Thief?

In my conquest of attaining my bachelors degree, there are certain courses that are required. Operation and Quality Management is one such class. In this class we review how "operations" work and how to ensure quality without losing quantity. Seems pretty self explanatory (which it is) Until you actually have a product to work on... Okay so I was assigned to a group with a guy and another girl in my class. For some reason DBU (Dallas Baptist University) loves to have you write papers and work in groups. Our project was to come up with a flowchart of a company of our choice, an overview of the company and make any changes we thought that would help improve the companies structure. The guy in our group suggested we work on Dell. I figured sure why not I don't know much about Dell, might be interesting. I did however suggest we do a more simple company, but I figured this guy may have some insight on it that I'm not aware of. The girl in our group wanted to work on Pianos, like Steinway. We decide to give in to him because he seemed earnest about Dell. So we go our separate ways to find info and research so we can put our info together later.

The guy in our group came back with a slide-show he told us he made based on the research he found. He said he has pretty much completed everything we needed and that the girl and I should change it around and we will be ready to present it. I showed them what I had found, about 8 websites and 3 PowerPoint's. The girl in our group was going through all of our info when she pointed out that one of the PowerPoint presentations that I found was an exact copy of what this guy said he worked on. (he had changed the names to his of course) I decided to confront him on it. I told him I have the same PowerPoint presentation that you said you made. He decided to correct me and say, "oh I didn't say I made it, I said I got it". The girl and I looked at each other both thinking the same thing. yeah that's not what he told us earlier. This is what you get in these so called groups which we are required to do in each class.

Here is the interesting part. The school is supposed to be a Christian university, I realize it's a Southern Baptist school but I expect that normal morals like the Ten Commandments are pretty clear to most Protestants. No stealing, no lying... Anyway this guy actually did profess in class to be a Christian during our "get to know you" part of the class and he's probably in his 40's or so. Not exactly the behavior I would expect from a grown man, who claims Christ...

So anyway the project is due tomorrow and he wants to meet tonight to finish it. I haven't decided on what to do. I am certainly not looking forward to this.

4 comments:

Shelly said...

I still think you should confront him on it. You & the other girl should not have to risk getting in trouble for plagerism because of his own stupidity.

sheepdan said...

I'm not sure what the answer is here but I know that I have been surprised and dissappointed in the past from people who were called christan, and they did something out of character. I remind myself that except for God's grace I would do more wrong and someone important to me once told me it's never right to do wrong to accomplishment right. I feel confident you will do the right thing.

Anonymous said...

just use the force Mr. Jedi man

TheMadMonk said...

I am not that surprised by this. Most ostensible Christians today have so watered down and rejected God's word, this type of behavior is typical.

A lot of it goes back to God's law. There is almost a universal rejection of the Lord's Day as Holy. Since the 4th Commandment is of no effect, why should the 9th.