Friday, October 5, 2007

Marathon (It's a bit long i know, but so is 26.2 miles)


Some of you may already know that I am training for the Cowtown Marathon, but I thought I would talk a little about for those who are interested (or just have nothing better to do). So far I'm doing good on my running schedule, Last night I started running outside. It felt like a much better workout than inside on the treadmill. Nice to get some fresh air and feel the wind blow, (and smoker's smoke and bugs buzzing me).

ASTHMA
Yes I'm a runner and I have asthma. Scary isn't it. This has been a struggle with me since I can remember. My parents had a horrible time with me when I was little cause I would wheeze and hack and cough, this was before all the advancements we have now. I remember my Dad holding me in the bathroom with the hot shower running to try to make the air more humid. It's a blurry memory but J remember wanting to just close my eyes and sleep. My mom even told me recently that I had a hood or bubble thing over my crib when I was little (This was news to me). I played soccer when i was older but the coaches always held me back, afraid "I'd die on them" as they put it. It happened even more in high school. So now I'm running I'm actually running. This is a huge accomplishment in my life and you know what. I'm doing great, no major problems so far and I feel good. I sometimes wonder if I could have played more sports or ran sooner. But now I'm tackling my Goliath. This is going to be a great milestone in my life I'm sure I'll be quite emotional when I cross that finish line. Because I will not only have just run a marathon, but I will have slain a giant that I have lived in fear of my entire life...

MARATHON

The Marathon is race that is 26.2 miles. I don't plan on finishing first. I'd have to run like a 6 min mile and that ain't happening. Currently my mile that I can hold is about 13:20 min mile. Not great but hey I could finish the Marathon (hopefully) in about 5 to 6 hours. My ultimate goal is to run without stopping (walking). Next will be just to finish before the 8 hour timer is up. I'd love to get to a 11 min mile. that would be awesome for me but I just don't have enough time to train that hard so soon. Normal people who are already are fit train for 13 weeks, I think I had 24. Okay enough about all the runner mumbo jumbo.

SPARTANS
I looked up where the Marathon actually came from and to save everyone the long story and accurate details; basically the Spartans were fighting the Persians (Battle of Marathon), and the Spartans won. They sent a runner to the near by city to tell them of the news. Now If you know any thing about Spartans, you know these guys are tough and rough. So this guy runs about 26 miles and gets to the village yells out "NIKE" which is Greek for victory. Now for the really encouraging part for me. He fell over dead right after he yelled. Great huh? SO now my goals have changed since learning this information.

1. don't die
2. keep and eye out for Persians (you never know)
3. don't stop running
4. finish before they close the race 8 hours.

I figure if I don't die I'll be doing better than the Spartan did...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should write a weekly column in Quick! Now that your entertaining me, I will look forward to when you are inspired to blog again. This is great. Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I looked at what you are eating and you forgot the RANCH dipping sauce that you used with your sandwich. :)

Shelly said...

I'm so proud of you! Love you!

Jedi Miller said...

okay i fixed it. the ranch is on there... :(

Shelly said...

I like the added picture. Looks good!

Michelle said...

I am finally able to access your blog! Isaac's laptop wasn't letting me, so I had to move to the desktop. Ohhhh, the horrors of it all!

I like the whole black page, jedi thing. It works.

I'm impressed with the running and attempting the marathon. If it were me, I'd be the guy (only a girl) falling over dead. I hate running and always have. It amuses me greatly that I played soccer in high school. I vividly remember hating running then.

Now power shopping? There's something I can do. I wouldn't mind yelling, "NIKE" at the end of a few trips either! :)

And look at what I've done. I've practically written a blog post on your blog. I need a life.

sheepdan said...

Thanks for the interesting information. I'm behind you.